Published on June 14th, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
And the winner of the 2018 SOCAN Songwriting Prize is…
…Partner, the band from Atlantic Canada.
The duo of Josée Caron and Lucy Niles grabbed the top spot in the competition, winning $10,000 for their troubles.
The other nine nominees in the English category were:
- “Dreams Tonite” – written by Alec O’Hanley, Molly Rankin; performed by Alvvays; published by Rough Trade Publishing Canada.
- “Money” – written by Leandra Earl, Eliza Enman-McDaniel, Jordan Miller, Kylie Miller, Garrett Lee; performed by The Beaches; published by Done with Dolls Inc., Besme, administered by Kobalt Music Group Ltd.
- “Main Girl” – written by Charlotte Cardin; performed by Charlotte Cardin; published by Red Brick c/o Corico Arts.
- “Cotton Candy” – written by Jessie Reyez; performed by Jessie Reyez; published by BMG Rights Management Canada.
- “Chills” – written by James Barker, Gavin Slate, Travis Wood, Donovan Woods; performed by James Barker Band; published by Warner Chappell Music Canada, Ole Media Management LP II.
- “Walkaway” – written by Jasmyn Burke, Morgan Waters; performed by Weaves.
- “Magic”– written by Eoin Killeen, Timothy Law, Patrisha Sanna Campbell; performed by Birthday Boy and Trish.
- “Healers” – written by Benjamin McCarthy, Iskwé, Ryan Somerville; performed by Iskwé.
- “Lingua Franca” – written by Neil Bednis, Christopher Laurignano, Fraser McClean, Melanie St. Pierre; performed by Casper Skulls.