Published on April 11th, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
Announcing the First Annual Toronto Vinyl Summit. Circle May 9 on the calendar. You will meet many kindred spirits.
Sales of new vinyl in Canada are up almost 50% from this time last year. Meanwhile, the traffic in used vinyl through record shops, record shows and online continues to rocket upward. The vinyl resurrection that began in 2008 seems to be here to stay.
With that in mind, I’ve teamed up with Toronto musician Morgan Cameron Ross to create an event for vinyl lovers during Canadian Music Week. We’ll convene in the spacious back room of The Rec Room Toronto at the foot of the CN Tower on Wednesday, May 9, presented by Old Toronto.
My guests will be Ivar Hamilton (VP Catalogue Universal Music Canada, who is up to his ears in vinyl reissues and box sets) and Akim Boldrieff (co-founder of the Toronto Downtown Records Show and the guy behind Sonic Temple). There will also be musical performances from Morgan Cameron Ross and Julian Taylor.
Here’s what to expect:
- Tips and tricks when it comes to collecting vinyl.
- How to grade and price used records.
- Pitfalls to avoid when building a vinyl collection (and there are plenty).
- What sort of records are worth collecting and which should be left alone.
- Yes, there’s a bar.
Ivar, Akim and I will bring some of our most precious collectibles to show off on the big screen. You’re also invited to bring any vinyl you might have for evaluation (Akim is the best) or to just to show off what you’ve got and to tell the story behind that record. We’ll put you and your records up on the big screen so everyone can see what you’ve got.
- Wednesday, May 9
- Doors at 7:30
- Tickets $10 in advance, $13 at the door
- If you have a CMW wristband or badge, a limited number of will be accepted for free admission.