Music News

Published on July 19th, 2015 | by Alan Cross

Another Side One Track One Challenge

This is right out of High-Fidelity: the ever-popular side one track debate.

NPR has rekindle this game of the best side one track one in the history of rock albums. Here’s their lists of the greatest album-openers ever.

Me?  Here’s my top ten in chronological order. Pardon the obviousness of any of these selections.

1. Rolling Stones, “Gimme Shelter”/Let It Bleed (1969)
  2. Led Zeppelin, “Whole Lotta Love”/Led Zeppelin II (1968)
  3. Rush, “2112 Overture”/2112 (1976)
  4. Clash, “London Calling”/London Calling (1979)
  5. Dire Straits, “Telegraph Road”/Love Over Gold (1982)
  6. Guns ‘N Roses, “Welcome to the Jungle”/Appetite for Destruction (1987)
  7. Nine Inch Nails, “Head Like a Hole”/Pretty Hate Machine (1989)
  8. Stone Roses, “I Wanna Be Adored”/The Stone Roses (1989)
  9. Tragically Hip, “Courage”/Fully Completely (1992)
  10. Oasis, “Rock’n’Roll Star”/Definitely Maybe (1994)

I’m sure there plenty of younger albums worthy of this list, but you know how it is with old favourites, right?They just become more special with each passing year.

What’s your top ten opening tracks?

Tags: , ,