Published on May 11th, 2017 | by Alan Cross0
Where in Canada is the Most New Music Being Created?
The cool thing about Big Data is that when it’s parsed correctly, you can learn things about the world around you that wouldn’t otherwise be obvious. This is one of those times.
SOCAN, the Canadian performing rights organization, took at look at where new memberships came from. These represent emerging artists who are just embarking upon their music careers and, by extrapolation, are (hopefully) engaging in innovative ways of making music. By drilling right now to postal codes, SOCAN determined the neighbourhoods where most of this innovation was taking place.
SOCAN’s top 10 Music Creator Growth Centres in Canada:
- Trinity / Little Portugal, Toronto (postal code prefix M6J)
- Christie, Toronto (M6G)
- Rosemont, Montréal (H1Y)
- Brockton / Parkdale Village / Exhibition Place, Toronto (M6K)
- Centre-Sud, Montréal (H2K)
- North Grandview-Woodland, Vancouver (V5L)
- Dufferin / Dovercourt Village, Toronto (M6H)
- Plateau Mont-Royal, Montréal (H2J)
- Outremont, Montréal (H2V)
- Petite-Patrie Southwest, Montréal (H2S)
They also were able to isolate the most successful songwriting and composing regions were–that is, where the postal codes where SOCAN pays out the most money.
- Alberta, Bridgeland/ Greenview/ Zoo/ YYC (T2E)
- British Columbia, North Grandview- Woodland (V5L)
- Manitoba, River Heights East (R3L)
- New Brunswick, Caraquet (E1W)
- Newfoundland and Labrador, St. John’s (Central) (A1E)
- Northwest Territories & Nunavut, Yellowknife (X1A)
- Nova Scotia, Southwest Mainland (B0W)
- Ontario, Rua Acores/ Trinity (M6J)
- Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown (South East) (C1A)
- Quebec, Rosemont (H1Y)
- Saskatchewan, Regina South (S4S)
- Yukon, Whitehorse (Y1A)
Is your neighbourhood here?