Published on June 27th, 2017 | by Alan Cross1
Flying Through Toronto’s Pearson Airport Soon? Prepare for Some Live Music
In another Canada 150 move, Toronto’s Pearson International Airport has launched a new music showcase called YYZ Live. Between today (June 26) and September 15, the airport will feature 150 live performances from some of the city’s best emerging artists from across many different genres and cultures.
I love the idea. As someone who spends too much time in airports, I can tell you that other cities constantly celebrate their musical heritage. Nashville is particularly good at this. At Sea-Tac in Seattle, there’s a Sub Pop store (I think it’s still there.) Others like Philadelphia promote the movies made in the city. I wish Pearson would so something like this year-round.
But props where props are due: YYZ is the only airport where I’ve heard the Smiths’ “How Soon is Now” played over the concourse speakers. Strangely, I’ve never heard Rush’s “YYZ.”
Here’s what travelers can expect between now and mid-September:
- 7:00 p.m. daily – YYZ Live stage, Terminal 1, International Arrivals
- 8:00 p.m. daily – YYZ Live acoustic stage, Terminal Link train platform
- June 29 – Jon Brooks | Bluegrass/Folk – jonbrooks.ca
- June 30 – Brighid Fry | Folk/Indie rock – brighidfry.ca
- July 1 – Mattie Leon | Folk/Indie rock – mattieleon.com
- July 2 – Ben Hermann | Folk – benhermann.ca
- July 3 – Donne Roberts | International – donneroberts.com
- July 4 – Winnie Brave | Roots/Country – winniebrave.com
- July 5 – The Young Novelists | Folk/Rock – theyoungnovelists.com