Published on March 28th, 2017 | by Alan Cross1
New Study on How Canadians are Reacting to Media Technology: Does Any of This Describe You?
Media Technology Monitor (MTM) has the results of a study on how Canadians are adopting media technology. You can find the full report here, but let me give you the executive summary.
- Streaming music services continue to grow in popularity with Canadians. Year-over-year adoption is around 32%. That’s huge.
- Spotify is the most popular streaming service in Canada with a 36% market share. It’s followed by Google Play at 28% and then Apple music at 23%.
- Nearly one-fifth of landline phone subscribers are thinking of going with a cell phone only. This has implications for people who use their mobiles for everything, including music.
- The most popular app use is for email and texting (89% of people use their mobiles for that), followed by weather (78%; how Canadian) and social networking (70%).
- Interestingly, 55% of us use your phones for banking and about 30% of us are into using mobile pay apps.
- Four in nine Canadians subscribe to Netflix. That’s 44% of us. But 3 in 10 subscribers say they share a Netflix password.
Where do you fit within these numbers?