Published on September 23rd, 2017 | by Alan Cross1
The Ongoing History of New Music, Episode 793: The Tool Odyssey
- As of this weekend–September 23, 2017–it’s been more than 11 years and five months since Tool released their last album, 10,000 Days. It came out in the spring of 2006. Let’s put that into perspective.
- The last time Tool gave us a record of new material, the introduction of the iPhone was still more than a year away.
- Bob Barker was still hosting The Price is Right.
- And this is my favourite: 2006 was the year NASA launched the New Horizons spacecraft towards Pluto. It has since flown past Pluto and is now well into the Kuiper Belt. In other words, you can travel out of the solar system in less time than it takes Tool to make an album.
This 11 1/2 year gap isn’t the longest interval between albums who has never broken up, but it’s loooooooong. Tool has gone out on tour multiple times in the interim, just to remain acquainted with their fans. But every tour only serves to underscore that Tool hasn’t come up with anything fresh since 2006.
Here’s the question: why? What’s the holdup? Where’s the new music? Those are three big questions that we’re going to try to answer. Welcome to The Tool Odyssey.
Forty-Six & Two
A Perfect Circle, Judith
Stinkfist (Salival version)
Normally, plalistist Eric Wilhite would provide a Spotify playlist featuring this week’s songs, but Tool doesn’t believe in streaming. Hence, no playlist this week.
Don’t forget that you can get the podcast version of this podcast through iTunes or wherever you get your on-demand audio.
The Ongoing History of New Music can be heard on the following stations:
- 102.1 The Edge/Toronto – Sunday night at 7
- Live 88-5/Ottawa
- 107.5 Dave-FM/Kitchener
- FM96/London – Sunday night at 7, Monday night at 11
- The Drive/Kingston
- Power 97/Winnipeg (Sunday nights at 11)
- 98.1 The Bridge/Lethbridge – Saturday night at 6, Sunday morning at 10am
- Rock 97.7/Grand Prairie – Sunday nights at 6.
- Sonic 102.9/Edmonton
- The Zone/Victoria
- The Fox/Vancouver
- Live 105/Halifax
- NEW! WAPS/WKTL The Summit/Arkon, Canton, Cleveland, Youngstown
We’re still looking for more affiliates in Calgary, Kamloops, Kelowna, Regina, Saskatoon, Brandon, Windsor, Montreal, Charlottetown, Moncton, Fredericton, and St John’s and anywhere else with a transmitter. If you’re in any of those markets and you want the show, lemme know and I’ll see what I can do.