A Journal of Musical ThingsPearl Jam and Soundgarden to Tour Together? » A Journal of Musical Things
Uncategorized

Published on September 18th, 2012 | by Alan Cross

Pearl Jam and Soundgarden to Tour Together?

One if the greatest shows I ever saw was the 1992 Lollapalooza main stage.  Along with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ministry, Ice Cube, Lush and the Jesus and Mary Chain, the day featured Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.

Years later when I told younger people about this gig they couldn’t believe me. “Pearl Jam AND Soundgarden on the SAME bill?”  Yep.  It happened, kiddies.

Now there’s a rumour that we might see the same sort of thing again twenty years later.  And it all revolves around drummer Matt Cameron.

Matt, of course, plays in both bands.  Soundgarden has King Animal coming out on November 13.  That’s their first new record in forever.  That will require a tour.  Meanwhile, Pearl Jam has promised a new record for 2013.  That means a tour.

So why not just combine them?  Talk about a summer blockbuster event, huh?

Read more here.

11 Responses to Pearl Jam and Soundgarden to Tour Together?

1. Noakesy says:

How about Neil Young/Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Blues Traveler in Toronto in 1993??1?! And that wasn't even a festival!!!

2. Homer says:

A sad state for new rock that these relics still make news. Christ – PJ & SG to tour together? What year is this? I feel like i'm taking crazy pills. Sure PJ is still talented, but Cornell hasn't been able to sing for years. Let alone write a good song.

Make this 90s obsession stop please.

Go listen to a band that's still hungry, passionate, and has something to say.

3. Don says:

Clearly Homer is as smart as his iconic namesake. Cornell certainly had his vocals in fine form last year when SG came through Toronto. I am glad that Homer is not interested in this tour…one less person I will need to beat to the boxoffice for tickets! It would be great to see these bands back together on stage. Perhaps a Temple of The Dog portion of the night too?

4. KB says:

It'd be AWESOME. I agree with Don some Temple of the Dog in the there would be AWESOME. I'd pay top price for that!

5. Rippey says:

Homer, go get your Bieber tickets, clearly you know nothing about music. I saw CC in his solo acoustic tour, by far the best singer out there. People are still fascinated with 90's music because it was(is) good music, anything since is watered down crap. There may be a handful of good modern rock bands. What's good now??

6. Steve says:

Elite hipster douchebage HOMER liked them both LIKE before it was cool and stuff. So now that they would be touring MAJOR venues, he can't go see them because that's too LIKE mainstream for his hipster douchebag tastes. I agree, one less person to have to worry about when I try to get tickets. Enjoy your post-grunge, electronic crossed with southern hip-hop/bluegrass underground revival band playing at a bar built for 200, where 15 show up.

ME?! I'll be at SD/PJ rocking my face off. Your loss…

7. Steph D says:

PJ & SG? Count me in!!

Agree with previous comments on Temple of the Dog stuff. I can't think of a cooler show closer/encore than playing a long-jam version of Hungry!

8. iamsuperdan says:

Homer, the reason people are so excited about this tour is because modern music is for the most part, a huge let down. Pearl Jam and Soundgarden have a back catalog of music that stills sounds fresh.

Other than hipsters and hippies, not one gives a crap about modern music. Sheepdogs? Black Keys? Mother Mother? I put them right in there with pop crap like Rhianna. They'll all fade away and be forgotten with a year or two. While bands like Soundgarden remain in peoples' brains.

Actually, Rhianna will probably still have some relevance in a couple of years. Sad but true.

Anyway, I for one will be all over tickets for a Pearl Jam/Soundgarden tour. Should throw some Tad in there as an opener. A little Temple of The Dog for good measure. How could one go wrong with that?

9. Matt says:

Poor Matt Cameron! One show takes enough endurance to play.

10. mikemac2112 says:

As amazing as this would be I have trouble seeing Mart Cameron having the endurance to play for both bands, especially if PJ does their customary 3 hour set. Why not have Alice in Chains on the bill as well? And maybe see if Dave Grohl/Krist Novoselic could be involved as well? Make it a proper full on 90s reunion!

11. Eric says:

Saw that same 92 tour in New Orleans. Saw PJ 6 months earlier at Edgefest in Dallas and no one knew who they were.