Published on May 19th, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
Random music news for Saturday, May 19, 2018
I just have time to watch the Royal Wedding from an anti-monarchist pub down the street from my London hotel before I have to head to Heathrow. I’ll miss all the drunks following the FA Cup Final, too. Probably for the better. Now some music news for May 19, 2018.
- Tom reminds us that today is Joey Ramone’s birthday. Had he lived, he’d be 67 today.
- Here are my weekly music recommendations for GlobalNews.ca.
- The White House has officially killed the Yanny vs. Laurel debate. See here and here.
- Fun fact: The Deadpool 2 soundtrack is the first soundtrack to ever received a parental advisory warning.
- More artists are writing songs “in the key of AI.”
- And in the not-too-distant future, there will be a #1 song written entirely by AI.
- Do you listen to radio? Do you use today’s technology like this?
- 50 Cent is now embroiled in a revenge porn suit.
- Whatever happened between Queen and Vanilla Ice after “Ice Ice Baby” copied “Under Pressure?” This.
- The Barenaked Ladies are getting their own museum exhibit.
- These 13 rock and metal bands have been banned by Disney.
- Coming soon: A super-fast iPhone charger.
- Apparently, Marilyn Manson is a “likable fellow.”
- Both Barrack Obama and Elton John really like this obscure band. Never heard of them, but now I’ll have to check them out.
- The violinist in the Dave Matthews Band is facing some #MeToo troubles.
- ABC News–yes, the news division–is planning a two-hour Michael Jackson special.
- The British government continues to look at switching off FM radio stations in favour of digital broadcasting.
- More streaming drama for Tidal: Following accusations of fudging streaming results, they’ve launched an investigation.
- Have scientists discovered a way to predict whether or not a song is going to be a hit? Maybe.
- Want to avoid dementia? Learn a musical instrument as an adult. And you might want to start with this.