Published on May 1st, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
Random music news for Tuesday, May 1, 2018
If we were to follow the traditions of the ancients, we really should have today off. This is what’s making news on May 1, 2018.
- Canadian music sales last week vs. a year ago: Total albums, -24.1%; CDs, -23.9%; physical albums, -24.2%, digital tracks, -20.2%; vinyl, +59.3% (Yay, Record Store Day), streaming, +49.2%.
- No, Green Day is not breaking up.
- Peter Gabriel’s wife beat cancer using a new form of stem cell therapy.
- And speaking of Gabriel, remember that boombox scene in Say Anything? It almost didn’t happen.
- Here’s a nice history of the earliest days of REM.
- LG is promising a new mobile phone speaker that should be twice as loud as what we have today.
- Apple is working on a high-res VR and AR headset.
- Don’t play your dog this way.
- Would you go to a church that conducts a Beyonce mass?
- The death of the car. Yes, this has to do with music–in a way, at least.
- Remember the yodelling boy of Walmart? Not only did he perform at Coachella, but he’s now got a record deal.
- The future of drumming(?)
- This could be interesting: a drama about the record industry.
- This phone setup could make you more mindful. Tell me more.
- Why we should continue to be worried about the results of the “Blurred Lines” copyright infringement case.
- The early 80s version of Fishbone is reuniting and going on tour.
- So does this mean an announcement of a proper Guns ‘N Roses reunion that includes Izzy, Steve and Matt?
- Soulja Boy and his dragon dildos. You read that correctly.