Published on May 30th, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
Random music news for Wednesday, May 30, 2018
I had a new roof put on the house 10 days ago. Now when it’s hot, it smells like tar all over the neighbourhood and all through the house. I’m not very popular right now. Here’s the music news for May 30, 2018.
- Canadian music sales vs. this time last year: Total albums, -19.8%; digital albums, -23.7%; CDs, -22%; physical albums, -17.3%; vinyl, +68%(!!!); streaming, +53.9%
- Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys doesn’t have a new album coming out, but his father does.
- Google seems to have taken the lead in the smart speaker market.
- It’s the techno fans of Berlin vs. the far right.
- And it’s the drill music fans of the UK vs. the police.
- Several rappers have threatened to pull their music from Spotify over the company’s “hateful content” policy.
- Musicians who make music that later makes them cringe. Discuss.
- Three people have been arrested over the deaths of two people at UK music festival last weekend. Bad drugs.
- Snoop Dogg has just set the world record for the largest gin and juice. This is a category?
- A rapping priest? Why not?
- YouTube has deleted a bunch of “violent” music videos that are blamed for an uptick in crime in the UK…
- …and YouTube has annoyed some of its stars with tweaks to their algorithms.
- And as for YouTube Music, it’s really a defensive gesture, apparently.
- This person really, really, really wanted to work at Spotify. She NAILED the application and got the job.
- A good question: Will radio and podcasting ever merge?
- Here’s a wishlist for features in Apple’s upcoming iOS12. (Via Blind Gordie)
- Here are seven ways to save money on concert tickets.
- So why didn’t Izzy Stradlin participate in the Guns N Roses reunion? Here’s what he says.
- Wanna see inside Madonna’s Portuguese palace?
- If your life has been touched by Alzheimer’s, read this. Yes, there’s a music angle.
- AM radio: Not dead yet.