Published on April 8th, 2017 | by Alan Cross1
Random Music News for Saturday, April 8, 2017
It was on this day in 1974 that Hank Aaron slugged his 715th home run. And now, the music news.
- Some HMV stores will close for good at the end of the business tomorrow. All the others will close on the 15th.
- Canadian Music Week is coming up fast. Here’s a preview.
- Interesting stat: almost half of the artists with a song on the Billboard Top 40 in since 1955 have had only that one hit.
- Are we coming to the end of free streaming? Maybe.
- Google just launched a streaming service in India that costs $1.85 CAD/month. Hey, local market conditions, you know.
- Are you addicted to your smartphone? Better read this just in case.
- Here’s a brief (but interesting) history of metal in Asia.
- Well, this is an interesting song for Beck to cover. (Via Michael)
- Test your knowledge of “the” bands.
- Tunisia has sentenced a British DJ for creating a remix of the Muslim call to prayer.
- Why authoritarian rulers attack the arts.
- John Cleese on political correctness: This is quite brilliant.
- Prince has been gone for almost a year and we’re no closer to settling his estate.
- Apple’s former iPod chief has now designed the most advanced first aid kit ever.