Published on February 3rd, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Saturday, February 3, 2018
Do Toronto newspapers have the absolute worst comics sections in all of North America? It’s embarrassing, really. Now let’s look at music news for February 3, 2018.
- Here’s a list of performers we’ve all forgotten that they’ve performed at the Super Bowl.
- Tivo will let you skip the Super Bowl and watch just the commercials.
- And here’s an oral history of Janet Jackson’s infamous “wardrobe malfunction” at the Super Bowl.
- Finally, here’s a list of some great Super Bowl gaffes.
- For some reason, Toto’s “Africa” has become this bro frat-boy anthem.
- The Spice Girls reunion: It looks like it’s happening with all five of them. And for their trouble, they’ll earn at least $70 million.
- Roy Orbison lives! As a hologram, anyway. Take a look.
- Sony Music generated nearly $4 billion US from recorded music in 2017. Of that, $1.6 billion US came from streaming (33% of the total).
- Warner’s revenue is $1 billion US for the quarter and digital revenue is up 20%.
- Some major, major entertainment entities–Billboard/Hollywood Reporter, dick clark productiosn and MRC–have all merged into one company.
- In case you missed it, Stone Temple Pilots have released some new material with new singer Jeff Gutt.
- File the semi-Smiths reunion under the heading “I started something I couldn’t finish.”
- Bon Jovi just sold his place in NYC for $16 million.
- Here’s another way artists making good money from the Super Bowl.
- Good point: Why isn’t SLAYER in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? (Via Tom)
- Are smart speakers poised to create a generation of spoiled brats?
- According to at least one doctor, dancing makes you more intelligent.
- This one music festival won’t let you bring a potato peeler. It’s Liam Gallagher’s fault, too.