Published on July 20th, 2017 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Thursday, July 20, 2017
It was on this day in 1969 that Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. Why haven’t we gone back? And now, the music news for July 20.
- It would have been rough to be a Nickelback at this Stone Sour show.
- A woman tried to smuggle 102 iPhones into China by taping them to her body. (iPhones are cheaper to buy outside of China even though that’s the country where they’re made.)
- Can you identify a band by its font? Take this quiz. (Via Rupinder)
- Madonna really doesn’t want that letter Tupac wrote to be auctioned off.
- Kid Rock has begun outlining his campaign to run for the US Senate.
- Taylor Swift fans think that she avoided some paparazzi by being smuggled past them hiding in a big suitcase. Wait–what?
- A judge says a brewery can’t call their new beer, “Elvis.”
- Drake is rolling in it when it comes to royalties from his time on DeGrassi. Okay, not really.
- Spotify has been hit with two big lawsuits alleging copyright infringement.
- Fender amps have jumped into the Bluetooth speaker game.
- Is the modern protest song being suffocated? There’s some evidence it is.
- Meanwhile, Ethiopian musicians who write protest songs are being jailed over their lyrics.
- A fan of the Smiths? Here are details on a new reissue of The Queen is Dead.
- Here’s your guide to all the bands on the reboot of Twin Peaks.
- U2 is going to use some of the proceeds from The Joshua Tree tour to fund music education. (Via Larry)
- Judas Priest has just released a brand new game for your phone called “Road to Valhalla.”
- Is country music sexist?