Published on August 1st, 2017 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Tuesday, August 1, 2017
I always start to get nervous when the calendar clicks over to August. Don’t you? And now, the music news for August 1.
- Spotify has blown through 60 million subscribers and is adding 2 million new users per month.
- So is it any wonder Spotify is probing to see where they can best Apple in areas like podcasts? (Via Andrew)
- Who’s the mystery pop star on the new Foo Fighters album? Dave Grohl is teasing this, but doesn’t think we’ll guess.
- Have you seen Dunkirk yet? Here’s a cool auditory illusion that the movie uses to keep audiences freaking out. (Via Greggory)
- Sinead O’Connor wants to perform at the Mayweather/McGregor fight next month. She’s on Team Connor, in case you’re wondering.
- Is Paul McCartney working on a Donald Trump song for his next album?
- Who shelled out $109 USD for an Arcade Fire fidget spinner?
- Here’s another example of why I like Adele as a person.
- MTV is trying something else in an effort to return to its roots. Will this work?
- Speaking of which, the Moonman, MTV’s VMA statue, is going to become gender neutral. (Via Tom)
- Twitter is testing a $99-a-month subscription plan for advertisers. Will this work?
- Is SoundCloud about to be sold to a private equity firm? If so, what will that mean for its future?
- Is A Tribe Called Quest about to break up?
- How to start your own music festival.
- Place your bets on who will play the Super Bowl halftime show in 2018.
- Radio as a weapon!
- Ever wanted to record a call on an iPhone? Try this thing.
- A house where Tupac once lived is on sale for $2.66 million US.
- Shades of Spinal Tap. Every Time I Die bassist almost missed a show because he was locked in the bathroom.