Published on December 7th, 2016 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Wednesday, December 7, 2016
Today is the 75th anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbour, the worst attack on US soil until 9/11. Now, the music news.
- Gord Downie received a special honour at The Assembly of First Nations gathering in Gatineau, Quebec, for his Secret Path project.
- The Grammys are still a couple of months away and they already suck more than ever. How can anyone in good conscience call Beyonce rock?
- When astronaut Buzz Aldrin was airlifted from Antarctica because of health problems, he ended up being treated by a Dr. David Bowie.
- How to write a hit Grammy-nominated album for Beyonce: Do it naked.
- Are iPhones exploding in China?
- This music festival will be entirely fan-curated for 2017.
- Suge Knight has had his murder trial delayed.
- Looking for a half-dozen cool Canadian Christmas albums? Start here. (Via Jay)
- Here’s a game people are playing in China these days: secret live broadcasting.
- Tracing things back to the Big Bang of Nickelback Hate.
- Apple Music says that it now has more than 20 million subscribers. They’re still behind Spotify–it has 40 million-ish and should hit 50 million by February–but it does show that more people are adopting streaming.
- Never, EVER throw anything at Garbage’s Shirley Manson during a gig. She will find you. Watch.
- Fun: the history of New York City nightlife told through flyers and posters.
- Here’s a spirited discussion around the question “Is radio dead?”
- And I was on CTV last night talking about the Grammy nominations.