Music News

Published on January 19th, 2018 | by Alan Cross

0

Tom Petty’s autopsy reveals he died of a massive drug overdose. And it was Fentanyl.

When Tom Petty died on October 2, the story was that he was found in full cardiac arrest. A heart attack, right?

No. A drug overdose. This is a new revelation from the family.

Like Prince, Petty had hip programs but insisted on carrying through with a 53-date tour obligation. By the time it was over, the problems had devolved into a full-on hip fracture and was very, very painful.

The autopsy revealed that Petty dug into the prescription meds in an attempt to find some relief and in the process accidentally killed himself.

The toxicity report says he had been using a lethal cocktail of medication: Fentanyl patches, oxycodone (Oxycontin), temazepam (Restoril), alprazolam (Xanax), citalopram (Celexa), acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl.

Fentanyl. The same bloody thing that killed Prince. Goddamn opioids. Again.

Why do many drugs? Good question. Besides the painful fractured hip, he was suffering from emphysema and knee problems. And he obviously had access to a doctor (or doctors) who were free with the scripts.

Here’s the family’s statement released today (January 19) on Facebook and TomPetty.com.

Our family sat together this morning with the Medical Examiner – Coroner’s office and we were informed of their final analysis that Tom Petty passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications.

Unfortunately, Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip.

Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.

On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full-on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his overuse of medication.

We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including Fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident.

As a family, we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications.

On a positive note we now know for certain he went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most, for one last time, performing live with his unmatchable rock band for his loyal fans on the biggest tour of his 40 plus year career. He was extremely proud of that achievement in the days before he passed.

We continue to mourn with you and marvel at Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ incredible positive impact on music and the world. And we thank you all for your love and support over the last months.

Thank you also for respecting the memory of a man who was truly great during his time on this planet both publicly and privately.

We would be grateful if you could respect the privacy of the entire Heartbreaker family during this difficult time.

Dana Petty and Adria Petty

 




Tags: , , , ,


About the Author

is an internationally known broadcaster, interviewer, writer, consultant, blogger and speaker. In his 30+ years in the music business, Alan has interviewed the biggest names in rock, from David Bowie and U2 to Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters. He’s also known as a musicologist and documentarian through programs like The Ongoing History of New Music.


Related Posts


Leave a Reply

Back to Top ↑