A Journal of Musical ThingsWait: Tom Cruise as an Older Kurt Cobain? - A Journal of Musical Things
Uncategorized

Published on April 3rd, 2012 | by Alan Cross

Wait: Tom Cruise as an Older Kurt Cobain?

One of the hoariest movies from the early 70s was A Star Is Born, starring Babs Streisand and Kris Kirstofferson (which itself was third or fourth reincarnation of the story, the most famous being Frederic March and Janet Gaynor).

The story goes like this:  older dude helps young starlet gets famous.  Yes, it’s pretty much the same thing as The Artist.

The scriptwriter on the project is Will Fetters.  His spin on the story is to involve a Rock God.  Specifically, someone in the vein of Kurt Cobain.

A quote:

“I think I’ve reinvented the Norman Maine character, the lead.  I wanted to do A Star is Born because I’m a huge Kurt Cobain fan. That was like my Kennedy assassination when I was a teenager. When he died it was a huge horrible thing. So I approached A Star is Born, for me the framework was all right, if Kurt Cobain never got to go Unplugged and survived and it’s 20 years later and it’s now, and he wanted to try to do that album with that understanding as this grunge icon. That’d be tough to get done if he was past his prime, no longer selling, how does he get that album?”

And yes, the hope is that this Cobain-like character will be played by Tom Cruise.  Please don’t let him sing.

More here.

18 Responses to Wait: Tom Cruise as an Older Kurt Cobain?

1. James says:

very nicely animated guys !

2. The scriptwriter on the project is Will Fetters. His spin on the story is to involve a Rock God. Specifically, someone in the vein of Kurt Cobain.

3. Leora Yancey says:

4. “I think I’ve reinvented the Norman Maine character, the lead. I wanted to do A Star is Born because I’m a huge Kurt Cobain fan.

5. His spin on the story is to involve a Rock God. Specifically, someone in the vein of Kurt Cobain

6. “I think I’ve reinvented the Norman Maine character, the lead. I wanted to do A Star is Born because I’m a huge Kurt Cobain fan

7. pparently, Tom Cruise.

8. And yes, the hope is that this Cobain-like character will be played by Tom Cruise. Please don't let him sing.

9. Portia Diehl says:

the most famous being Frederic March and Janet Gaynor).

10. Specifically, someone in the vein of Kurt Cobain.

11. The scriptwriter on the project is Will Fetters. His spin on the story is to involve a Rock God. Specifically

12. Chloe Coe says:

The story goes like this: older dude helps young starlet gets famous.

13. VerdaEller says:

he most famous being Frederic March and Janet Gaynor

14. how does he get that album?”

15. So I approached A Star is Born, for me the framework was all right, if Kurt Cobain never got to go Unplugged

16. Lia Rea says:

17. Unable to leave well enough along, Clint Eastwood is having another go at it with a project starring Beyonce and, apparently, Tom Cruise.

18. Sherrilld says: