Published on February 12th, 2018 | by Alan Cross20
Weekly Survey: What’s the best album opener of all time?
Before an album comes out, there is much agonizing over what order the songs should be placed. Of utmost importance is track one. How should the experience of listening to this album begin? Whatever is chosen has to grab the listener right away and make a STATEMENT that will reverberate for the rest of the record.
Some great examples:
- Nirvana, Nevermind: “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
- U2, “Where the Streets Have No Name”
- The Clash, London Calling: “London Calling”
- Led Zeppelin IV: “Black Dog”
- Oasis, Definitely Maybe: “Rock’n’Roll Star”
- Guns ‘N Roses, Appetite for Destruction: “Welcome to the Jungle”
What’s your pick for the best-ever side one/track one? Let me know and we’ll fight about it on my 102.1 the Edge show at 6 pm tomorrow.