Published on August 16th, 2016 | by Alan Cross0
Random Music News for Tuesday, August 16, 2016
You don’t think that Trump is actually thinking of quitting, do you? If this US election cycle wasn’t weird enough… And now, some music news.
- Are you a Canadian musician? Then take this survey how streaming is affecting you.
- Hip hop and golf? Why not?
- There’s a new Lemmy bar. He’d approve.
- Live365 lives! Here’s how it’s being resurrected.
- Spotify has added kid’s music.
- Apple Music is putting together a team of “lyrics curators.” Interested?
- The Suicide Squad soundtrack sold about 128,000 copies in the US and around 11,000 in Canada (16,000, if you use SoundScan’s “consumption” calculations.)
- However, total Canadian album sales are down 21.3% so far this year, led lower by digital albums (-26.1%). Vinyl is up 34.9%, but that’s only 343,000 units. Total physical albums sold this year is 6.8 million, so keep things in perspective.
- Meanwhile, Pandora is getting into the charts business.
- Meet the rapper who says he slept with three Kardashians. Is that a boast?
- Wait: Fidel Castro has had sex with almost nine times as many women as Mick Jagger? Yep.
- The Chicago Cubs have fired their music person for choosing an inappropriate song in the midst of a game. (Hey, Chicago! Call me! I have a company that specializes in proper sports music!)