Published on June 13th, 2018 | by Alan Cross0
From the Dept. of Weird Rockstar Hobbies: Collecting military vehicles and other strange pastimes.
Everyone needs a hobby, something to divert the mind from the pressures of day-to-day living. Even rockstars need hobbies.
The Deal sisters in The Breeders like to knit. Same thing as Rivers Cuomo of Weezer.
- Iggy Pop and others paint.
- Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones collects stamps.
- Bob Dylan is into sculpture.
- Grandmaster Flash collects coffee mugs.
- Neil Young likes model trains. Same thing with Rod Stewart.
- Brian May of Queen turned his interest in astronomy into a Ph.D. in astrophysics.
- Damon Albarn really likes ping pong.
- Roger Daltrey of The Who loves fishing for trout.
- David Lovering of The Pixies has become very good at magic.
- Before he died, Lemmy of Motorhead spent a lot of time collecting authentic Nazi memorabilia.
From there, things can get…expensive.
- Nick Mason of Pink Floyd has an insanely large collection of cars, some of which he races. Same thing with Guy Berryman of Coldplay and Brian Johnson of AC/DC.
- The Offspring’s Dexter Holland collects airplanes. He even has a MiG fighter.
- Gary Numan is a certified stunt pilot.
- Jack White is into taxidermy.
But Stephen Morris of Joy Division/New Order is a different cat altogether. He collects military vehicles.